Monday, February 12, 2007

2GB ChapStick USB Flash Drive

I just bought a new 2GB USB flash drive, and it happened to be sitting on the desk the other day next to a tube of ChapStick. It looked like a perfect match once I got the drive out of it's case, but it ended up being a little too big to fit in the tube. I took it to work and bored the tube out on the lathe during my lunch break, made a few notches in the base and the bottom cap with the die grinder, sanded the edges of the circuit board a little, and finally got it to fit perfectly. Looks pretty good, even the LED shines through the bottom. Hopefully it will fare better when it ends up going through the dryer in my pants pocket than a regular tube of ChapStick does.


Chap Suck?


USB Drive


2GB ChapStick


2GB ChapStick

And yes, the cap does fit. I'd like to make one that twists in and out, but I don't think they make a drive that small (yet).

-Andrew http://ahcmachinist.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Gerry Lauzon said...

Very neat idea. Turns the boring into the interesting.

Acat said...

hehe now if only they come with an actual chapstick.. now that would really be handy hehe..